13 Rehabilitation Station: Recycled Flower Prints

>> Friday, September 10, 2010

Happy Friday, ya’ll! Let’s round out the work week with one of my latest DIY projects.


IMG_5085

IMG_5084

Remember this holy grail of wildflower prints courtesy of my Gran? The walls in my entryway were feeling pretty naked, and I felt good about dressing up this empty space a bit with a few fun (and free!) prints. 

IMG_7204 


Supplies

  - Prints to be framed
  - Craft paper
  - Frames
  - Scissors
  - Tape


Now that we’ve gathered our gear, let’s get down to business.

IMG_7122 


Use the back of one frame to trace the craft paper.

IMG_7123 IMG_7125
Thanks to my pal, Lindsey, for the lovely caught-in-mid-trace-after-a-long-day-at-work-and-let’s-not-even-talk-about-the-humidity-that-led-to-that-ponytail action shot. You know how I feel about unkind sneak attacks

IMG_7129 
Once the craft paper is cut to size, center the image and secure with a few pieces of tape on the backside of the print.

IMG_7128 
Then just pop back into the frame. One down, seven to go! Feeling good about it.

IMG_7126 
Once all of the frames are armed and ready for hanging, arrange them on a large piece of craft paper as you would want them to hang on the wall.

IMG_7192 
Trace…

IMG_7206 

…and tape to the wall where the frames will hang. Save yourself the effort and your wall the dozens of holes that would result from trying to hang the frames off the cuff.

IMG_7207 
Mark the center of each frame outline, where the nail should be.

IMG_7209 IMG_7213 
Once all of your nails are in place, rip the paper off of the wall like a maniac. Hands down, the most fun part of the project for me. My cats/assistants didn’t think so.

IMG_7248 
Hang frames, and call it a day. Complete!

IMG_7247image
clip_image002

13 comments:

Molly,  September 10, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

The frames look great!

Anne,  September 10, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

You are too funny!! I love reading what you write. How do you think of such witty things to say?

Cara @ Live the Home Life September 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

Thanks, Molly!

Anne, you are cracking me up but trust me, you don't want to know the inner workings of this girl's mind. It can be a scary place!

Cara

Caroline B,  September 10, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

I agree! Your posts are hilarious!

Jessica September 10, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

Your idea for putting the nails in the right spot the first time is genius! haha. wish I would have thought of that.

Jessica

Cara @ Live the Home Life September 10, 2010 at 11:00 AM  

Caroline, cut it out. I'm blushing!

Jessica, I wish I could lay claim to this idea, but I think I read about it in a magazine (most likely Martha Stewart/my home-junkie bible) a while back. I have to admit that I usually just start nailing away, and one of my super powers is phenomenal aim so it usually works out, but with so many frames to hang, I knew I'd better try out the craft paper method. I gotta say, it made life so easy. I'll never go back to eye balling it again!

Cara

Kel,  September 10, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

Love the framed flowers but what I really love is your wall color. What is it??

Cara @ Live the Home Life September 10, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

Thanks, Kel! The walls are Napery by Sherwin Williams. It's a great shade of yellow that's not too yellow.

Cara

Elena,  September 11, 2010 at 12:15 PM  

Good job on the frames. I love the craft paper/nail idea too. I wish I had know that before now that I have several unwanted holes in my house.

nanny September 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM  

your wall is so very pretty....I love it!

Cara @ Live the Home Life September 13, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

Thanks, Elena. The craft paper trick definitely saved me a ton of time and frustration.

Nanny, thanks so much!

Cara

Anna January 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM  

Thanks for the info Cara! I have been looking for flower or botanical prints that I could frame myself for quite some time now. I just ordered the book from Amazon and I can't wait until it comes in. I will send you pics once I complete my little project! Thanks again! I love your blog!
Anna Smith

Cara @ Live the Home Life January 11, 2011 at 8:49 AM  

Anna! I'm so glad you were able to track down a copy of the book. You must send the after shots my way! Good luck!

Cara

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP