5 Before & After: Playing Favorites

>> Monday, September 26, 2011

I’m asked on a pretty regular basis to share my favorite furniture flip of all time, and I’ve gotten pretty good at dancing around a definite answer. Just like a mother refusing to admit to her favorite child—but come on. You know they all have one. Sure, the chosen child may change from day to day, but please.

While I’ve had my favorite rehabs, none have captured my heart quite like my latest. Let’s begin with the before shots.

Rescued from the side of the road by my mother and donator of a good chunk of my DIY genes, this little desk was easily recognizable as quite the diamond in the rough.

image

Live the Home Life_Desk_11

Live the Home Life_Desk_3



I actually sort of loved the weathered look of the base coat of the desk as it was, so all that was needed was a good scrub.

Without any salvageable drawers to work with, a little time spent with a jigsaw and a few swings of the hammer, combined the drawers on either side of the desk into one larger opening. 

Live the Home Life_Desk_3

Live the Home Life_Desk_10



A little painters tape and few swipes of black paint across the top. I wanted the paint to have that not-too-perfect, streaky dry brushed feel.

Live the Home Life_Desk_9

Live the Home Life_Desk_4

Live the Home Life_Desk_8


And while the one preexisting drawer wasn’t anywhere close to reusable, I wanted to hang on the the fantastic pull, so I attached it to the front of the desk as a decorative accent.

Live the Home Life_Desk_5

Live the Home Life_Desk_7

Live the Home Life_Desk_15




Ready for the after pics and the reason for my undeniable love for this furniture flip?

imageLive the Home Life_Desk_14Live the Home Life_Desk_15


Maybe it’s the aging charm of the original finish that I adore so much. Maybe it’s the fantastic little drawer pull…and I do love a good stripe…but whatever the reason, it’s love. Real true tug at your heart strings furniture flipping love…and okay, fine. I’ll admit it. It’s just one more place for me to hoard magazines. But what addict doesn’t love a good enabler?

clip_image002

5 comments:

AShley,  September 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM  

I love it!!! Where can I get one of those of my own? :)

Danielle,  September 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM  

That is an incredible transformation. I do like how you stuck with the original style of the desk. Very nice job.

Cara @ Live the Home Life September 26, 2011 at 12:10 PM  

Thank you both! True confession: this flip took me a total of an hour start to finish. Super simple! Especially since I didn't have to give the entire piece a sanding/priming/painting.

Cara

Cara @ Live the Home Life September 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM  

Ashley,

I originally planned to donate this desk to Habitat for Humanity's ReStore & After fundraiser this Thursday but now I'm being selfish and want to keep it for myself!...I'm sure I'll do the right thing and give it to the cause, so good news! You can come to the event and bid on this little desk! Ticket info below...

http://www.habitatpulaski.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=2

Hope to see you there!

Cara

Hilary September 27, 2011 at 4:36 PM  

Amazing! I LOVE the stripes and the baskets were the perfect solution.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP