4 Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

>> Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I have to tell you that my favorite blog days are when I get to share the before and afters of the Rehabilitation Station with you friendly folks. Today is a great day and I hope you enjoy the newest addition…

This pretty little mirror made its way to the garage—a sort of limbo for upcoming rehab contenders—via a family member. She sure was pretty but was not in the best of shape. I actually liked how she looked before but her coat was constantly chipping off. She needed a good solid coat of paint to hold her in place.

After a bit of cleanup, I got down to business…

IMG_3478

IMG_3485



I loved the detail at the top of the mirror but unfortunately, it was hanging by a thread. After a failed attempt to reattach her fancy hairdo, I had to cut my losses and face the fact that it had to go…

IMG_3482 IMG_3486

IMG_3488

Now painted and feeling fresh, I encountered another hurdle. The mirror was reflecting the edge of the frame and it was not a pretty sight…

IMG_3532 

Yuck. I was not a happy camper, but luckily I was reminded of the miracle power of a little caulking…

IMG_3531

Bingo! A grand idea indeed…

IMG_3533 

Smoothed and set, a little caulk worked wonders in cleaning up the edges…

IMG_3572




Finally, my new mirror in all her splendid glory. Dang, she looks good…

IMG_3580image

Budget Breakdown:  
Mirror FREE
Primer & Paint Semi-FREE (left over from another rehab project)
Caulk $1.99
Total $1.99



clip_image002

4 comments:

Anonymous,  December 22, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

Looks great! What is this secret you are keeping from us?

shopgirl August 4, 2010 at 4:22 PM  

Cara! I LOVE THIS! I did something similar with a mirror that was attached to our old dresser, but I didn't do a good job as you. I didn't cover the mirror very well when I was sanding it so there were a lot of scratches on it.

p.s. what's your sanding secret?

Hope you're having a fabulous week!

xoxo

Cara @ Live the Home Life August 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

No way! I'm sure your mirror looks absolutely fabulous!

Don't be fooled by the photos, my friend. This was one old mirror so the mirror itself is not crystal clear and has its fair share of bumps and bruises. For this particular piece, I actually skipped sanding (shame on me!)

I gave the frame a thorough cleanup and then applied several good coats of Kilz primer before painting.

Cara

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP