3 Reader Q &A: Heather’s Question…Her Mom’s Kitchen

>> Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Of course, Heather’s email not only made my day but sent my home-loving noggin spinning with ideas. Let’s revisit Heather’s email…

So, you've heard this before but, I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! I shared it with my mom and she loves your style too! She's slowly remodeling some of her house and is not a do-it-yourselfer or home interior guru but, when told what to buy, she knows her way around the local hardware store.

Her question to me was whether all of the new ceiling fans had to match since it's such an open floor plan? Also, below are her comments/questions about hardware on her painted white kitchen cabinets…

Where the light is hanging by the kitchen window, I'm thinking about 4-5 recessed lights across the counter where the kitchen window is. I'm not sure if those are still popular. Also, do rustic knobs and drawer pulls look good on white cabinets, or if brushed nickel is better? I tend to like a softer, simple look of brushed nickel and clean lines, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on stuff going out of style!


P8220287 P8220288
Holy visqueen! You’ve been busy my dear, and I love every second of it.

Basically we can break Heather & her mom’s questions into three parts…

1. If there is more than one ceiling fan in the same room, do they have to match?

The obsessive side of my personality says absolutely, 100% yes. My vote is that if you have two light fixtures in the same room or are even visible from the same room, the finish at least needs to match. Brushed nickel light fixture in the breakfast nook right off of the kitchen? Stick to brushed nickel fixtures in the kitchen as well. Of course, every rule is meant to be broken and designers are pros at mixing and matching finishes, but for the DIY novice, sticking to a similar finish is a safe bet.

2. Are recessed lights still popular?

Yes! And I am especially fond of recessed lighting in kitchens. Recessed lighting can often be controlled by separate light switches from the main lighting fixtures in a space, which definitely comes in handy when a bit more light is needed to assist in reading fine print cookbooks and food labels.


3. Rustic or brushed nickel hardware on white cabinets?

Both!—That was the easy answer, right? But true! The truth is, there are so many great options for cabinet hardware out there that it’s hard to go wrong and really depends on the style of the rest of your kitchen. Opting for an warm, earthy paint color? I love a more rustic approach, but if your aiming for cool hues in blues and greens, brushed nickel hardware offers a more sleek feel.

Below are a few of my personal favorites in both finishes…



image image
 IKEA: $6.99 for 2 pack  Home Depot: $3.97 ea
   
image image
 Restoration Hardware: $8.50 ea  Lowes: $3.40 ea



image image
 Pottery Barn: $7.00 ea  Restoration Hardware: $11.50 ea
   
image image
 Home Depot: $4.79 ea  Lowes: $3.27 ea



I hope this helps you ladies, and be sure to send the after shots my way. No excuses!

clip_image002

3 comments:

Anna,  September 29, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

I feel the same way about light fixtures needing to at least look like they match.

Jena Selva,  October 4, 2010 at 8:29 PM  

I could hardly believe it myself, but I found the absolute perfect pulls for my kitchen cabinets at Target...I had been looking for over a year for something I loved that didn't break the bank. I had to drive to Conway though when LR didn't have enough.

Cara @ Live the Home Life October 6, 2010 at 8:07 AM  

Anna, glad to know I'm not alone in my obsessiveness :)

Jena, you are right! Target does have a good selection to choose from...and you can't beat the price! Thanks for the tip!

Cara

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP