7 Furniture Flipping: Melissa’s Headboard

>> Wednesday, September 1, 2010

When Melissa’s email about rehabbing a headboard for her daughter’s room landed in my inbox, I was super excited to start cranking out ideas...

Hey Cara! Do you have any fun ideas on painting a headboard for a tween girl’s room?  I have antique headboard that my daughter hates but I think if I painted it fun, she would like it. Thanks for your help!


It’s not everyday I get to rack my brain over the fun and colorful opportunities offered by a not-really-a-kid-but-still-not-a-teenager’s room.

Let’s get started with the headboard before shot…



image

A great piece, right? But maybe not exactly the style sought after by Melissa’s daughter, Porter.

IMG_0246



Let’s draw up the game plan so that Melissa & Porter can get down to business…

image
1. The headboard has many of the same details as the white dresser already in the room, so by sticking with an all white paint plan and adding fun pops of color through accessories, we’ll give the headboard an update and still give Porter the fun feel she’s looking for.

2. The black and white striped bed skirt is a classic print that will grow with Porter over time and can be updated with a wide variety of throw pillows and blankets. Add a few large euro shams in the same stripe to break up the white headboard and tie in the bed skirt.

3. Finally, bring on the color with these fun throw pillows and wall prints!


image image

 

image

image


Thanks to Melissa and Porter for feeding my color craving!

clip_image002

7 comments:

Cara Beth September 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM  

Cute! We just bought a cool old door and are having a husband/wife debate over what to do with it. If we can't solve I may just call you, my dear! :) Thanks for your geniusness!

Eric Wilkerson September 1, 2010 at 9:15 AM  

Make it look old and rustic, then hang it somewhere in your house on a wall! That would look so cool!

-Eric W.

Cara @ Live the Home Life September 1, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

Cara Beth, I'm on the hunt for a few old doors of my own. Gotta love them!

Eric, you know I'm a fan of all things rustic. Good thinking!

Cara

Jill,  September 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM  

The polka dota pillows are so cute! I want them for my daughter's room and my own!

Kristen,  September 1, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

I LOVE the polka dot pillow on the left. So fun!

Cara @ Live the Home Life September 1, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

Jill & Kristen, I fell head over heels for the polka dot pillows as well! If Melissa wanted to branch out a bit more from white, there are so many fun colors that she could pull from those pillows to paint the headboard. Kids rooms are so fun!

Cara

Melissa John,  September 1, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

I love love love the multi colored pillow!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP