7 Gran Gear #4: Gaining Our Sea Legs

>> Thursday, April 8, 2010

We’re not finished sharing all of the goodies from Gran’s house yet! I tell ya, that woman has one massive garage.

My Grandad was a boat captain at heart and even owned his own nautical shop at one point, so naturally Gran has been storing what’s left of his business venture in her home for years.

This oar house sign is just begging to be hung in a—oh I don’t know—secluded lake house where birds and fish are our only neighbors. And deer. Deer can come too. Eric, can you hear me?

IMG_5210 

This pile of rolled papers was a fun surprise just waiting to be discovered…

IMG_5221IMG_5214 
Dozens of naval architectural drawings! I know I’m not the only nerd out there that jumps for joy over findings like this. Framed and hung in the office would be perfection in my eyes…

IMG_5219IMG_5216  
Gran’s decked out our casa with all kinds of fun goodies, but we want to hear from you! What are some of your favorite hand-me-down finds from relatives? Old furniture? Family photographs? We wanna know!

-Cara

7 comments:

laura @ so alaurable April 8, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

The naval architectural drawings are such a great find!

I am so coveting a library card catalog and old letterpress drawers right now...when I told my mom, she said my grandmother used to have these a long time ago. How I wish they had been kept and made their way to me!

Cara @ Live the Home Life April 8, 2010 at 9:47 AM  

Oh Laura, I'm so on your team about the old library card catalog. How amazing that would be!

-Cara

Joy,  April 8, 2010 at 10:03 AM  

When my grandmother passed away when I was 12 my grandfather gave me her pearl necklace that she wore at her wedding and every special occassion since. Ironically I was such a tom boy and my hair never left a ponytail and I always had on muddy sneakers. But my grandfather said that she always wanted me to have them. Now that I am an adult I am so glad to have something so special of hers.

Sarah J,  April 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

I have an old rocking chair of my great grandmothers. Even though we don't have children yet I love knowing that it is there for when we do.

Shanna,  April 8, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

Sounds strange but my granny's cast iron skillet.

Patrice,  April 8, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

Love the drawings!!

Allison,  April 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

I have a set of tea cups from my great aunt. She used to collect them and when she would babysit me, I would spend hours playing with them. Now I have them on a shelf in my kitche to remind me of her.

I think the oar house sign would look fabulous in a cabin by the lake ;)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP