5 DIY Bib Necklace How-To…and How-Not-To: Part 1

>> Sunday, April 25, 2010

After crafty-cousin-in-law Katie breezed through a quick how-to of making her bib necklace, I tried to do my best to keep up, but somehow all I remembered of our conversation was: …super easy…cut circles…basic running stick…pull thread…

Luckily it seems that those 3 steps were really all I needed to get started: cutting circles, running stitch (don’t worry. I’ll explain this one for those of you who also have no clue what this means) and pulling thread. Now let’s get crackin!



Supply List 

Thank goodness for the dear sweet old souls manning the sewing department at Hobby Lobby. One helpful vest-clad employee in particular came to my rescue. Here’s what I walked away with…

- Fabric scraps (Amazing! Already bundled & color coordinated)
- Sewing needles
- Thread
- Chain (head on over to the jewelry section for that)
- Necklace clasp


- Buttons (grab a few in different colors & sizes)
- Fabric scissors

Note: I am sure I’m missing a few items that I’ll find that I need in the future, so I’ll keep you posted on what I neglected to include in the original supply list.

IMG_5435IMG_5438

Step #1: Cut Circles

Easy enough. I gathered a few household items in various sizes to serve as my guides. To be more specific: a bread plate, dessert plate and water glass. Then, just trace & cut out your circle.

IMG_5440IMG_5441IMG_5442 
Success! On to the next step…

Step 2: Running Stitch

Running stitch means nothing to you? Welcome aboard. Click here to see a detailed description, but basically a running stitch is the kindergarten version of sewing. That is good for us. Very good.

Sew along the entire outside of the circle…

IMG_5444IMG_5445

Step 3: Pull Thread

Once you arrive back where you started sewing, simply pull the thread so that the ends of the circle bunch and meet in the middle. You may have to guide the fabric a bit to form the right shape of the flower. Then, just tie the two ends of the thread together to make sure this little budding blossom stays put.

IMG_5448       
That’s it! See how easy? Katie has been on point so far.

Keep whipping up a few more flowers like this in different sizes and fabrics. We’ll meet back here soon for Part 2. Happy sewing!

-Cara

5 comments:

Amanda K,  April 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

Look pretty simple (so far). I think I'll try to make one along with you. I am warning you tho. I don't sew and will need baby steps the whole way!

Cara @ Live the Home Life April 25, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

No worries, Amanda! I'll do my best to break everything down. Hopefully it doesn't get any harder from here :)

-Cara

Carrie @ Two Poms and a House April 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

ok I think I might be out of the loop on the whole bib necklace thing...is it a necklace or a bib? ;)

Cara @ Live the Home Life April 25, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

Hey Carrie! I guess it's a little of both. A bib-like necklace for adults if that makes since. Bib-like because it's big and made of fabric, but really just a necklace :)

-Cara

Carrie @ Two Poms and a House April 29, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

Right after I asked about this I saw a bib necklace being modeled on a tv show...totally cute. Yours is looking great! You are very creative!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP