10 Rehabilitation Station: Ottoman Update

>> Sunday, January 24, 2010

Waking up with a stiff neck on Saturday was zero fun, but I refused to let it ruin the productivity of the Rehabilitation Station. The furniture gods were on my side however, and stumbling across this $12.00 ottoman at an estate sale rocked my socks. Obviously in need of a facelift, a quick and easy upholstery project (along with a heating pad an a couple ibuprofen) worked its way into my Saturday.

IMG_4072

IMG_4074 IMG_4075



With a fabric of choice waiting in the wings, my new friend and I were ready to get down to business! I opted to use a box cutter to remove the existing faux leather seat cover instead of plucking staple upon staple. After my last incredibly-painful-but-totally-worth-it reupholstery experience, my fingers thanked me.

IMG_4077

IMG_4079



Surprisingly, the padding was in good condition and we were ready to skip right on to the good stuff. A quick fabric trim ensured that approximately 4 inches remained around the sides of the base. It’s better to overestimate a bit here as excess fabric can always be snipped down the road…

IMG_4082 IMG_4084



In the home stretch, a quick run around the edges with the staple gun should do it. Be sure not to pull the fabric too snuggly to avoid ending up with unintended stretch marks.

IMG_4085 IMG_4086



That’s it! Simple, right? This Rehabilitation Station friend found a cozy new home in our bathroom.

IMG_4104image


Budget Breakdown:  
Ottoman $12.00
Fabric $7.00
Staple gun & staples FREE—left over from a previous project
Total $19.00



-Cara

10 comments:

Joanna,  January 24, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

Remarkable before and after! Thanks for the step by step.

ShellBell,  January 24, 2010 at 3:17 PM  

very nice job!!!

Live the Home Life January 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

Thanks friends! I gotta tell you, my neck paid for it but this one was so worth it!

-Cara

Christa,  January 26, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

The fabric choice was perfect! So very soothing for a bathroom!

Lizzie,  January 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

Wow! Phenomenal job. I always love how just switching fabric makes such a big difference. I love the rehabilitations station! Always something new and inventive.

Anne @ The City Sage January 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM  

LOVELY! that spunky, cheerful fabric totally transformed the piece. and bravo for taking on DIY upholstery. i'm terrified of wrestling with that beast!

Live the Home Life January 27, 2010 at 11:30 AM  

Anne, I feel your upholstery pain! It'd rather just slap a coat of paint on a project any day. Thanks for stopping by!

-Cara

Kimba February 16, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

Love it! It DOES look like the long-lost brother of my stool Love that fabric!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP