10 Rehabilitation Station: Ottoman Update

>> Sunday, January 24, 2010

Waking up with a stiff neck on Saturday was zero fun, but I refused to let it ruin the productivity of the Rehabilitation Station. The furniture gods were on my side however, and stumbling across this $12.00 ottoman at an estate sale rocked my socks. Obviously in need of a facelift, a quick and easy upholstery project (along with a heating pad an a couple ibuprofen) worked its way into my Saturday.

IMG_4072

IMG_4074 IMG_4075



With a fabric of choice waiting in the wings, my new friend and I were ready to get down to business! I opted to use a box cutter to remove the existing faux leather seat cover instead of plucking staple upon staple. After my last incredibly-painful-but-totally-worth-it reupholstery experience, my fingers thanked me.

IMG_4077

IMG_4079



Surprisingly, the padding was in good condition and we were ready to skip right on to the good stuff. A quick fabric trim ensured that approximately 4 inches remained around the sides of the base. It’s better to overestimate a bit here as excess fabric can always be snipped down the road…

IMG_4082 IMG_4084



In the home stretch, a quick run around the edges with the staple gun should do it. Be sure not to pull the fabric too snuggly to avoid ending up with unintended stretch marks.

IMG_4085 IMG_4086



That’s it! Simple, right? This Rehabilitation Station friend found a cozy new home in our bathroom.

IMG_4104image


Budget Breakdown:  
Ottoman $12.00
Fabric $7.00
Staple gun & staples FREE—left over from a previous project
Total $19.00



-Cara

10 comments:

Joanna,  January 24, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

Remarkable before and after! Thanks for the step by step.

ShellBell,  January 24, 2010 at 3:17 PM  

very nice job!!!

Cara @ Live the Home Life January 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

Thanks friends! I gotta tell you, my neck paid for it but this one was so worth it!

-Cara

Christa,  January 26, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

The fabric choice was perfect! So very soothing for a bathroom!

Lizzie,  January 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

Wow! Phenomenal job. I always love how just switching fabric makes such a big difference. I love the rehabilitations station! Always something new and inventive.

Anne @ The City Sage January 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM  

LOVELY! that spunky, cheerful fabric totally transformed the piece. and bravo for taking on DIY upholstery. i'm terrified of wrestling with that beast!

Cara @ Live the Home Life January 27, 2010 at 11:30 AM  

Anne, I feel your upholstery pain! It'd rather just slap a coat of paint on a project any day. Thanks for stopping by!

-Cara

Kimba February 16, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

Love it! It DOES look like the long-lost brother of my stool Love that fabric!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP