12 Master Bath: DIY Floating Vanity

>> Wednesday, October 5, 2011

In the normal scope of LTHL posts, DIY means just that: do-it-yourself…but for the purposes of this post, let’s loosen the strings on those guidelines a bit and think of DIY as do-it-yourself…with extensive help from an architect dad.

From the get-go, the master plan for this section my bathroom was to completely demo the original nastiness and replace with a fabulous floating wood vanity complete with two vessel sinks…

IMG_5519IMG_5566
So once demo was complete, phase one of plumbing was a wrap and tile, drywall, new wall insulation and paint were checked off of the to-do list, in came Dad to begin framing the floating vanity.

IMG_5564IMG_5596IMG_5612IMG_5731IMG_7669 
Now I have to be honest, this DIY was broken down into two parts. Part 1 of which I had little to nothing to do with. My fabulous father, on the other hand, was a busy bee…

IMG_7700IMG_7724IMG_7744

Once the frame was knocked out, Dad measured and cut the vanity top and side apron for me to stain and seal before he secured them in place…

IMG_8029IMG_8035IMG_8039

Part 1 complete! Note: the sinks & faucets aren’t actually attached in the above photo, I just got a bit over zealous and wanted to daydream about the end result.

Now on to part 2: staining and sealing the vanity top and apron. This is where I took over and got down to serious business. Using Minwax oil-based wood stain in dark walnut, a few coats took this soon-to-be vanity to a rich shade of lovely.

IMG_7787IMG_8289


Followed by three solid coats of Waterlox, a fabulous product for protecting wood from continuous exposure to water.

IMG_8295

Once stained, sealed and secured in place by Dad, the plumber came back out to put the finishing touches on my dream come true…


Master Bath Remodel_after11Master Bath Remodel_after20 
clip_image002

12 comments:

Cara Beth October 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM  

Gorgeous! I'm so impressed!

Cara @ Live the Home Life October 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM  

Thank you, Cara Beth! I'm so in love with how it turned out and I'm afraid we may be seeing many more copy cats just like it in my future bathroom remodels.

Cara

AN-G February 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM  

Can u pls tell me what kind of wood u used for the top an front?

Cara @ Live the Home Life February 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM  

Hi ANG-G,

I used Aspen for both parts of the vanity. Hope this helps!

Cara

AN-G February 28, 2012 at 6:13 AM  

Thank you so much, I have the same kind of cove in my tiny master, this tut was jus what I was searching for, will keep ya posted, thanks for sharing! FYI your house is beautiful! Jus found your blog

Mirror Installation Bronx December 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM  

So classic, yet, so modern. I love it so much.

-Bronx Shower Doors

Truthfully yours, Zakia May 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM  

I adore this! Great job :) question for you, how thick was the vanity top aspen wood?

Unknown September 30, 2015 at 1:30 PM  

Great work. If I wanted to make when with cabinet doors, where can I get the front panels? Can you make them?

Unknown September 30, 2015 at 1:32 PM  

Great work. If I wanted to make when with cabinet doors, where can I get the front panels? Can you make them?

Unknown February 6, 2017 at 9:25 AM  

Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign!
Plumber Providence Rhode

Unknown September 3, 2018 at 5:29 AM  

Hi I found your site by mistake when i was searching yahoo for this acne issue, I must say your site is really helpful I also love the design, its amazing!. I don’t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site.
plumber Providence,Rhode Island

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP