3 True Confession: Sand, Paint & Steal

>> Monday, June 20, 2011

I can’t tell you how excited I become when someone tells me that they read this little blog-o-mine, but when someone tells me that they read my blog AND are starting a furniture rehab project, I lose my mind. Happier than Christmas. 

This past weekend, at my grandfather’s wedding, one of my wonderful cousins and I were chit-chatting about her house when she told me that: #1 she reads my blog (big time hugs followed suit) and #2 she recently bought a coffee table to rehab (holy moly!)...I was on cloud nine that my very own flesh and blood was hopping on the DIY bandwagon—until the most poisonous words trickled out of her mouth—I’m just not so sure I can do it. I nearly keeled over. A family wedding and funeral in the same day just wouldn’t do.

After a little pep talk, my cousin and I parted with high hopes for rehabbing success and detailed instructions that she is to send the before & after pictures my way…but then I started thinking about how many other people have told me that they really want to tackle their own furniture rehab but just don’t know where to start. No worries, friends. I’ll tell you exactly what to do.

True Confession: Sink to my level and turn yourself into a stealing packrat.

You see, very few ideas fall into my lap out of the clear blue sky. When I see a magazine photo of a wall color I just can’t get enough of, I tear out the page and save for later inspiration. Should I fall head over heels in love with a living room I scouted online, I save the image to my laptop. Visiting a friend’s house and find myself green with envy over an end table? I snap a picture on my iPhone.

Don’t believe me? Take a gander at just a few of the knock offs that have worked their way into my Rehabilitation Station

imageimage image

No excuses. You (and lovely-cousin-who-shall-not-be-named) can do it!…and send before & after pictures my way. You know the rules.

clip_image002



3 comments:

Margaret June 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM  

Hellooooo from Minnesota! So Marc and I are considering refinishing the hardwoods in our soon to be house and were wondering if you had any tips. There is carpet (and many different colors of it) EVERYWHERE! We aren't sure exactly what the condition is, BUT we heard that due to the boards that tacked the carpet down, we may need to refinish. Would you recommend refinishing ourselves? Hope you are doing well!

Cara @ Live the Home Life June 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM  

Margaret! I am so excited about your new digs in Minnesota and can't wait to se pictures.
 
When I moved into my house, I was in the same boat. The terrible carpet covering my beautiful hardwood floors had to go. Because I was in a time crunch and needing to have the floors refinished before I moved in, the do-it-yourselfer in me cringes, but I had a pro tackle the floors and am glad I did. Not only is it a major undertaking, but I see houses day in and day out and have had a good opportunity to compare pro vs DIY hardwood floor refinishing...gotta say, the pros win almost every time. It pains me, but luckily there are plenty of DIY opportunities in every home!
 
Keep me posted and send progress photos!
 
Cara

Curtis August 7, 2011 at 12:04 AM  

Refinishing hardwood floors can sometimes be a tedious task, which can consume lots of income and time.Hardwood floor refinish can be done on your own and you may save some money but I had an experience with Hardwood Refinishing Services. They offer very affordable services.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP