7 DIY Floor Mirror Wrap Up

>> Friday, June 22, 2012

The past few weeks, my master bedroom has been receiving a lot of love. From the mannequin-stand-turned-faux-lamp to the recently framed fashionistas and now a DIY floor mirror, this spot has been hot on the DIY bandwagon. My master hasn’t received much attention in the longest, so it’s high time this space gobbled up a little TLC.

I’m super excited to top of this week with the after shots of the DIY floor mirror I’ve been working on for the past couple of days. Let’s dig in…

Earlier in the week, I rounded up a simple mirror from Walmart and all of the supplies I needed to kick this project into high gear…

IMG_5031IMG_5034IMG_5037

Then it was out to the carport to get busy. I started by measuring the wood and knew I needed two 48” and two 12” boards cut at a 45 degree angle on each end. I used the miter saw I bought myself as a little birthday happy a couple of years ago to make the cuts, but if you aren’t ready for such commitment, Shanty 2 Chic used a much less expensive method. You can also just have the hardware store make the cuts for you for practically nothing.

Mirror_3

Once the cuts were made, I lined up the boards to make sure they fit together and used a staple gun on the corners (of what would be the backside of the frame) to hold the boards in place.

Mirror_2Mirror_6

A thin bead of Gorilla Glue along the seams for added support—a little goes a loooooong way—and a quick coat of dark walnut stain…


Mirror_4

Once the stain was set, I flipped the frame over and used a little mirror adhesive and a bit more Gorilla Glue to mount the mirror to the back of the frame. Let dry over night and I had a fancy pants new floor mirror to add to my master bedroom for just $35…

IMG_5053IMG_5051

clip_image002

7 comments:

Lauren Phelps June 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM  

LOVE THIS! I have the perfect ugly mirror to redo!

Cara @ Live the Home Life June 22, 2012 at 9:16 AM  

Do it! It really was easy. Only caution is to beware of the Gorilla Glue! I tend to go overboard with the stuff.

I think the part that most beginner DIYers will be nervous about is actually making the cuts, but if you can have someone at Home Depot or Lowes make the cuts for you, all that is really left to do is stain and glue.

Cara

casperzoey561 August 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM  

What did you use the liquid nail for? Maybe I missed it...

Cara @ Live the Home Life August 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM  

Great question! I used both liquid nails and gorilla glue to attach the mirror to the frame, but I made a second mirror recently and only used gorilla glue and it worked perfectly. Ditch the liquid nails and only use gorilla glue and you'll be in good shape.

Cara

Molly7777 October 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM  

Could you confirm the measurements?
Two 72" x 8 " x 1"
Two 36" x 8" x 1"

Any problems with mirror flexing?

Thanks.

Molly7777 October 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM  

Could you confirm the measurements?
Two 72" x 8 " x 1"
Two 36" x 8" x 1"

Any problems with mirror flexing?

Thanks.

Cara @ Live the Home Life October 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM  

Hi Molly!

I just measured my mirror because I couldn't remember off hand and my boards actually ended up being 63" x 7.5" x "1 and 26.5" x 7.5" x 1".

But no matter the width of your boards, the important part is that the cuts are made so that the shortest sided of your boards (the sides that butt directly up to the mirror) are slightly shorter than the mirror itself. For example, if you have a mirror that is 48" x 12" (like the one I used) you want the sides of the boards that will be glued to the mirror to be 47-47.5" and 11-11.5"

I didn't have any trouble with the mirror flexing, but I made sure to buy the straightest boards that I could find.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck with your project! I know it will be fabulous!

Cara

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP