5 Sink or Swim

>> Thursday, February 23, 2012

When my new quartz counters and shiny new stainless sink were popped into place yesterday morning, I was jumping for joy at what had appeared on top of the cabinets I’d been slaving away painting for the past week…

IMG_3137

Underneath the sink? Not so much excitement. I’m no plumbing whiz over here, but last I checked pipes and drains are supposed to be attached to the sink to work properly.

Kitchen sink plumbing_1

No worries though, I can just go without a functioning kitchen sink until a plumber comes to move my hot water heater next week, right?…Negative. That’s a big fat wrong.

Because my old house plumbing did not include shut-off valves for the pipes underneath the kitchen sink, if I were to turn on the main water line to my house as-is, water would have exploded into my kitchen and created an unwanted swimming pool. So no water = no useable kitchen sink or dishwasher, no showers, no midnight trips to the kitchen for water, no sips for thirsty puppy lips, and most importantly, no potty…if you catch my drift. This construction site needed water ASAP!

Fortunately for me, I had just the plumber friend to call for a favor. After working all day, Plumber Josh worked well into the evening getting my sink issues under control…and since he was already here, why not go ahead and install the garbage disposal I’ve had hanging around since Christmas…

Plumber JoshKithen sink plumbing_3Kitchen sink plumbing_2

A couple of hours later my waterless house was no longer uninhabitable and my kitchen was back on track. Just the way I like it.

IMG_3153IMG_3155


clip_image002

5 comments:

Anonymous,  February 23, 2012 at 12:54 PM  

Perhaps you mean your house was no longer "uninhabitable". Looks great!

Unknown April 22, 2013 at 12:09 PM  

I really think that I need to get our sink a garbage disposal as soon as possible. Our pipes under the sink are clogged, and the water just won't go through the drain. I should have installed a garbage disposal before we used it. Your sink looks good, by the way. The faucet is fashionable! Where did you get those?

Althea Tumlin

Darryl Iorio May 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM  

What a cozy kitchen! Your choice of colors is great. Aesthetically, white and silver complement each other. It's also a good thing you've installed a garbage disposal, though I hope you'll still be kind to it by filtering leftovers before you wash the dishes. This will preserve the sink longer. And since you have a plumber friend, why not ask him to help you regularly check the pipes?

->Darryl Lorio

Unknown November 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM  

Those are some wise contingencies. Looking mighty sleek as well. Bottom line: always get expert resource, either professional opinion or equipment.

Jaye @ All Hours

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP