>> Monday, February 13, 2012
At the risk of running away every blog reader I’ve accumulated over the past 2 1/2 years of my blogging life (Mom included), yet another cabinet painting post is coming at you on this fine Monday. I want nothing more than to post about something—anything—other than paintbrushes and dry times, but this is all my oil-based paint fume infused brain has to offer.
The good news is just one more coat and these cabbies are a wrap! By tomorrow, just in time for Valentine’s Day, I’ll be breaking up with my Sherwin Williams paint can. My trusted companion and beloved partner in rehabbing crime. Check ya later.
While this project has been almost a week in the making—one coat of primer and two coats of paint—I did cut down on time by keeping the doors hung while painting. Once the bases were painted and 100% dry, I got to work on the doors. Instead of taking them off to lay flat, priming one side, waiting a day to dry, flipping, priming the other side, waiting a day to dry, flipping, first coat of paint, waiting a day to dry, flipping…you get the gist…I was able to knock out a coat on both sides of the cabinet doors each day. Sure this took a bit more care to avoid drips but well worth the time saved.
Rehabber beware: Since the doors had to remain open while they dried, you do run the risk of freaking yourself out when you stumble into the kitchen in the middle of the night for a glass of water and find yourself in the middle of the scary movie scene where the tricky ghost opens every cabinet door in the kitchen.
Just a little more dry time and I’m ready to put the box of cabinet pulls to work…and kick the paintbrush to the curb. Mainly the paintbrush part.