>> Saturday, July 11, 2009
Little Rock Central High School
1500 Park Street
Little Rock, AR 72202
Little Rock Central High is a school rich in history, academic excellence and diversity. The structure, built in 1927, has been added to the National Register of Historic Places and is also designated by the National Park Service as a National Historic Landmark.
In the fall of 2007, two historic anniversaries were observed: the 50th anniversary of "The Central High Crisis of 1957," when the school was desegregated, and the 80th anniversary of the structure itself. These events also coincided with the opening of the new Central High Museum and Visitors' Center at the corner of Daisy Bates Avenue and Park Street.
- - 170 teachers, 85 with advanced degrees
Over 177 courses offered, including 36 AP courses and 5 foreign languages
Numerous Teacher of the Year Awards
42 Stephens Awards for excellence in teaching
- 7 Presidential Scholars since 2000
- 169 AP Scholars
- Named "The most beautiful high school in America" by the American Institute of Architects
- Championship sports programs, including football, basketball, soccer, baseball, tennis, and track & field
- Newsweek's 2008 36th best High School in America