6 Kitchen Remodel: Budget Breakdown

>> Friday, April 13, 2012

Before I officially start rolling into the home stretch of my kitchen/laundry room remodel, let’s take a quick trip down memory lane and revisit the budget to date. 

image

Although I’d been dreaming up this kitchen of mine in my head for months, before demo could march its happy little self into my casa, plans had to be finalized. The time had come to gather dozens of estimates and finalize plans & materials. Not to mention this is the time when the budget becomes very real and you have no choice but to mentally prepare yourself for the checks to be written. Yikes.

At Home_Feb 2012_6At Home_Feb 2012_4

Hands down my favorite part of the remodeling process is demo. Mainly because there is no looking back once you start ripping a room to shreds, but also because if you are willing to swing a sledgehammer yourself, it’s 100% free…which is a four letter word we DIYers live for.

Kitchen Demo_21 
Now that plans were set, my kitchen was officially a train wreck and I was washing dishes in the bathtub, it was time to reassemble this space into a usable (and much more chic) kitchen. On to Phase 2.


imagePutting this bad boy back together required patience. With construction dust covering the entire house, cabinetmakers hammering away while I tried to take business calls, and a minor plumbing emergency that left me without water for over 36 hours, a little juggling and a lot of patience were needed.

But once the cabinets were reconstructed, refaced and painted…

Kitchen Cabinets_3Kitchen Cabinets_8

Hardware attached…

IMG_3097

Appliances in place (sort of)…

IMG_3128

Countertops installed…

IMG_3134 
and backsplash tiled…

IMG_4064

I was one happy DIYer. For one thing, I had fully functioning kitchen (click here for more after pics), which this house hadn’t seen in years and secondly, because I took on the role of onsite general contractor/handylady I saved oodles. Let’s talk about my final budget at this point in the game, shall we? 

image
 
Not a fun number to see fly out of my bank account but considering what kitchens run, I’m more than pumped. Pumped to have a kitchen. Pumped I saved bunches. Pumped I’m giving myself the week off of extreme DIY before I knock a hole in the wall and jump right into the final phase of this remodel.

At Home_Apr 2012_15

Pumped. I may even do something girly this weekend like get my nails done or go shopping for clothes that don’t have paint on them.


clip_image002

6 comments:

Tammy_Skipper April 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM  

gorgeous! I am sure that would have easily cost 4-5 times as much if you'd hired it all out...great work

Cara @ Live the Home Life April 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM  

Thanks Tammy and I think you're right! It's amazing how much a little patience and a TON of planning can save you.

Cara

Chase Conely April 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM  

You have everything fit in its right place even before starting the renovation, now that’s a good plan. Though it is not yet thoroughly finished yet, you can already tell it’s a stunning kitchen. And to think that you managed that all by yourself, you worked it as if knew it all along.

Chase Conely

Cara @ Live the Home Life April 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM  

Thanks, Chase! Overall my experience with this kitchen reno was a relatively smooth one...of course I had a few hiccups along the way but spending a ton of time on the front end planning made a huge difference.

Cara

Unknown May 24, 2012 at 12:33 AM  

Organize bathroom times to make the best use of what you’ve got. Single bathrooms present an obstacle for families trying to get ready for school and work all at the same time every morning.

siding contractor

Anonymous,  May 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM  

This is a topic which is close to my heart... Take care!
Where are your contact details though?

Here is my web page: celebrity news

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP