2 DIY Kitchen Backsplash: Day 2

>> Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Alright, we are back at it! Yesterday I filled you in on the first steps of my kitchen backsplash (Missed that post? No worries. Click here to play catch up) and today we are sliding on in to home plate as we wrap up this super simple DIY.

With all of the tiles cut to size and the mortar holding them in place with plenty of time to dry—I let them sit overnight—it was time to finish up this project with a little adventure in grouting.



Kitchen Backsplash_5

The type of tiles you are using for your backsplash (ceramic, natural stone, etc.) and the amount of space between your tiles determines whether you should use sanded or unsanded grout. Since I was using ceramic tiles with a small amount or space between each tile, non-sanded grout was the best option for two reasons: 1. Grout with sand may not fit between the narrow cracks & 2. sanded grout may have scratched the smooth surface of the ceramic tiles.

Now that I knew just what type of grout I needed to by, I simply followed the instructions on the back of the box to whip up a batch of fresh grout…and this is where my hands became so slathered in white non-sanded grout that I couldn’t even think about taking pictures.

But this is the brand of grout I used (purchased at Home Depot in Bright White) that had picture perfect instructions (literally) on the back of the box for we visual learners. 

Backsplash grout_1

Backsplash grout_3


Once the grout was mixed and ready to go, I used a rubber float to apply to the tiles. A float looks like this…

image
Holding the float at a 45 degree angle, I smeared grout over the tiles to make sure every crack was filled. Then sccraping the float at a 90 degree angle against the top of the tiles to remove as much of the excess grout as possible.

Backsplash grout_2

There is absolutely no possible way to remove all of the excess grout with the float, so don’t panic if it looks like a bucket of grout exploded in your kitchen. After the grout has a good 10-20 minutes to sit, just run a damp sponge over the tiles to get rid of any grout left behind on the surface.

Backsplash grout_4

Then just give the grout a couple of hours to dry and your tile backsplash is practically a wrap! You’ll want to go over any leftover cracks and crevices with a thin bead of caulk. For kitchens and baths, waterproof silicone is your best bet to ward off mold and mildew.

IMG_4028

It’s amazing how far a $3.00 tube of caulk can go in giving a project a finished look. Check out a few before and afters from my backsplash…

IMG_4032IMG_4043IMG_4031IMG_4041IMG_4038IMG_4040

And that, my friends, is how you can knock out a DIY kitchen backsplash in 2 days flat. Pretty easy, right?

IMG_4064IMG_4077

Check back in tomorrow and I’ll give you the tour of my brand spankin’ new kitchen now that phase 2 of DIY Kitchen/Laundry Room Remodel 2012 is a wrap!

clip_image002

2 comments:

Alex April 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM  

I'm so jealous of your new kitchen!!! It looks awesome.

Cara @ Live the Home Life April 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM  

Thanks, Alex! I'm so glad you like it! It is nice having a kitchen that I would actually be proud to cook in. Too bad I'm not a big cook!

Cara

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP