0 DIY Kitchen Backsplash: Day 1

>> Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A tile backsplash is one of the easiest ways to add that extra little punch to your kitchen, and I swear to you when I say it is easy. Even if you’ve never DIY-ed anything even closely related to tile, you can do it. I promise. Tiling is very simple for the most part and since you don’t have to worry about hiccups like uneven subfloor (like you would for a floor tile project), knocking out a kitchen backsplash is a great tiling DIY for beginners.

Let’s visit my very own construction site for an example. I went with white ceramic subway tile for my backsplash and of course I’m stubborn enough to want to install it myself.



I wanted to make double sure the tiles behind the sink were centered since this area is the focal point of my kitchen, so that’s where I started. Using premixed mortar and a notched trowel, I spread the mortar into place and started placing the tiles.

Kitchen Backsplash_3
Kitchen Backsplash_1
Kitchen Backsplash_2

These tiles had built-in spacers, so there was no need for any additional separators which made popping the tiles into place a breeze. Also, I picked up a $20 tile cutter to break the tiles down to size when necessary.

Kitchen Backsplash_5

Behind the range…

Kitchen Backsplash_10Kitchen Backsplash_4

I thought about leaving the backsplash low, ending just above the windowsill, but after a lot of thinking (and a little advice from two wonderful girls named Jessica) I took that baby to the top! Good call.

Kitchen Backsplash_7Kitchen Backsplash_8

Once all of the tiles were in place, the mortar needed to set overnight. Meet me back here tomorrow and we’ll throw a little grout into the mix and call this DIY a wrap!

clip_image002

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP