5 True Confession: Mow Problems

>> Monday, May 2, 2011

Ready for a Monday morning true confession? This one is tough for me to admit, especially since I pride myself on being the best do-it-yourselfer that I can be, but not once in my entire DIY life have I ever learned how to use a lawnmower. I know. Disgrace.

After reflecting on my childhood, I blame my mother (sorry, ma). Every time she headed out to mow the lawn, it was ordered that we kiddos stay huddled inside for fear the lawnmower would kick up every pebble in the yard and rocket them directly into our corneas.

Further enabling my lack luster yard-work skills, I always had wonderfully helpful family and friends offering to do the job for me, but this weekend with my yard reaching the terrifyingly disgraceful point where I found myself flying into my carport and quickly running inside for fear disapproving neighbors would start throwing stones at the sight of me, my dependency was to be put to an end. I was going to mow that stinkin’ yard myself.



IMG_8796

Maybe I’m exaggerating the extent of the overgrowth? Let’s snoop a bit closer…

IMG_8793IMG_8797
There were no more excuses. Donated by my parents a couple of years back, this fella was about to get in on the action.

IMG_8802
…but with no owners manual and a plethora of scary all-caps danger signs, I felt the need for assistance. It is important that our fingers stay attached to our body after all.

IMG_8803 
Lawnmower go-to guru numero uno, Dad of course…but no answer. Mom? Straight to voicemail. Brother-in-law? At work, no response…Last resort: sister who I love dearly but is possibly hanging out in the shallow end of the DIY gene pool.


Jessica: Heeeeeeey! Whatcha doin?

Cara: Oh my goodness! You answered! I have a question and it’s starting to rain so I don’t have much time.

Jessica: Oh gosh, what is it?

Cara: Do you know how to start a lawnmower?

Jessica: silence

Cara: Jessica?


Needless to stay, I was not giving up on this one. For goodness sake, if I can perform full fledged open heart surgery on my hot water heater with great success, I could get this outdoor vacuum to cooperate.

All you have to do is pull that little cord right?…

…15 minutes later…

…push down the funny little bar, then pull the cord…

…10 minutes and a return phone call from Mom later…

…push the red button on the side 3 times, hold down bar, pull the cord with all your might…

…and away we go!

IMG_8804 IMG_8805


Note to self #1: The pit in your stomach after you get a haircut and realize how truly horrendous you looked before. Exact same feeling here.

imageimage

Note to self #2: Enormous backyards are great for slip-n-slides and terrier mixes. Lawn maintenance is a completely different story.

IMG_8807



clip_image002

5 comments:

Patricia,  May 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM  

That is so funny! I love reading your blog posts. They sure do brighten this dreary Arkansas Monday morning.

Susie,  May 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM  

Agreed. Hilarious!

Carol-Anne May 2, 2011 at 8:08 PM  

Hahah! that's such a cute post! I LOVE cutting the lawn and find it such a rewarding thing to do.

Maybe you need to fill in the spots with mulch or stones or something, so you don't have so much grass!

Cara Beth May 2, 2011 at 9:17 PM  

ha! I'm right there with ya sister! I've never mowed a lawn IN MY LIFE! I grew up with 3 boys in the house so me and my mom did the "inside work" and they did the "outside work." Great job, though! :)

Cara @ Live the Home Life May 3, 2011 at 5:55 PM  

Thanks, friends! It was quite an experience and my right shoulder is seriously sore from yanking that cord. I'm shocked I didn't rip it right off!

Cara

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP