2 Just a Thought: Like Martha Like Daughter?

>> Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Whether you are like me and worship the ground she walks on or live to love to hate her, the creative genius that Martha Stewart can whip up with a glue gun and a few yarn scraps cannot be denied. And while I’ve found myself cursing her up-down-left-and-right after spending two hours in the kitchen only to have my culinary creation turn out substantially different than what is staring back at me from the glossy magazine page, I stick up for Martha. She’s my girl.

So when I read a few excerpts from Martha’s daughter Alexis’s tell-all book about growing up under Martha’s wing, I had to roll my eyes. Apparently Martha made her take off her shoes inside the house and turned off the lights on Halloween to pretend like they weren’t home to deter trick-or-treaters…but I bet you ate a killer pumpkin trifle on Thanksgiving and had the most organized closet in all the land. Pick your battles, sweetheart. I guarantee if you came to my house on Halloween, the front porch light would be off and you’d be leaving your muddy boots by the front door as well.

But what really kicked my protective instincts for my domestic goddess into high gear? This quote:

 

She used to make me wrap my own presents. She would hand me things right before Christmas and say, "Wrap these but don't look inside."


My mom also had me wrap my own presents. Not because she was missing a maternal Christmas gene, but because she knew I was a better gift wrapper, bigger bow tie-er and fancier tag signer than she. Take it as a compliment Alexis. If Martha Stewart trusted me to wrap the presents displayed under her fabulous 15 foot frasier fir, you could ship me off to sea Eskimo-style on a block of ice because my life would be complete.

Presents_2Presents_1


clip_image002

2 comments:

Anonymous,  December 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM  

Yes, I can see why your mom delegated gift wrap to you. Beautiful! My daughter's favorite Alexis story is that their refrigerator was always full but there was NOTHING TO EAT. How many times have I heard that from my family!
Merry Christmas, Susan

Alex December 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM  

I've wrapped my presents at my house for 15+ years. We can't help our wrapping skillz. Cry me a river, Alexis.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP