7 How To…Shorten Curtain Panels Without a Sewing Machine

>> Wednesday, May 19, 2010

With several 108” curtain panels stacked neatly in our linen closet and two bare windows in our guest bedroom, we were excited to pull these bad boys out of hiding and repurpose them with a simple trim and a bit of iron-on adhesive.

Supplies

- Curtain panel in need of a trim
- Iron on fabric adhesive (we used 3/8” Heat n Bond)
- Iron
- Tape measurer
- Straight edge
- Pen


IMG_5627 
Find a big enough space to lay the panel out flat. Beware, cats may encroach.

IMG_5630 IMG_5631 IMG_5632

Measure the distance that you would like the curtain panel to be, allowing a few additional inches to fold over as a cuff.

Example: We wanted our panels to be 92” when all was said and done, so we marked our panels for 96” to allow 4” for the cuff.

IMG_5634IMG_5635



Use a straight edge to ensure that your cut is straight.
 IMG_5637 IMG_5638

Make your cut.

IMG_5639 
Fold your fabric to the desired length of your cuff—we went with 4”—and iron to create a crease.

IMG_5641



Place your adhesive sticky side down and follow the directions on the package for exact heating length, approximately 2-5 seconds.

IMG_5640IMG_5644 
Remove paper backing and allow adhesive to cool. Once cool, fold cuff and iron (8-10 seconds depending on package instructions).

IMG_5642

Hang your lovely like-new panel and call it a day!

IMG_5647IMG_5847   

On an additional good-to-the-environment note, we reused two curtain rods that we’ve had idly hanging around the house for years.  With a similar finish, but mismatched ends, we hadn’t considered using them in the same room before.

Silly Wilkersons. We think they look great and definitely fit the shabby-chic feel of this guestroom. 

IMG_5851

IMG_5852


What do you think? Do mismatched curtain rods float your boat, or does the thought of it bring out the OCD in you?

-Cara

7 comments:

Catlyn,  May 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

I haven't ever thought about mixing and matching curtain rods but i like the idea. As long as the color of the rods are the same I think it would look good. Yours do anyway!

Leanna T,  May 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

Go for it!

Angela,  May 19, 2010 at 3:00 PM  

I wouldn't mind but my fiance would. He likes for everything in our house to match or it drives him crazy. Men. I never can figure them out.

Cara @ Live the Home Life May 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

Angela, I must confess. Eric is a fan of matchy-matchy. It's a daily struggle. :)

-Cara

Gabby,  May 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

Uh oh I am a matchy matcy gal myself. Is that bad? Yours look good though.

Sarah September 16, 2012 at 8:24 AM  

Thanks! As a warning to anyone lazy like myself, I went seeking iron on adhesive but couldn't find it so I used fabric glue. It worked, but it left dark spots where the glue dried. Good thing it was a cheap panel or I'd be so mad at myself! :)

Anonymous,  May 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM  

Hello there! I could have sworn I've visited this blog before but after going through many of the posts I realized it's
new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely delighted I stumbled upon it and I'll be book-marking
it and checking back frequently!

my webpage ... http://balanceinmotion.com/newport-beach-acupuncture-3/

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP