9 Life Lessons from the Construction Site: 25 Years in the Making

>> Friday, August 27, 2010

Happy Birthday to…me!

It’s a big one guys. This weekend I make it to 25. Half way to 50. Quarter of a century. Slice and dice it how ever you want.

With over 25 years experience living in construction sites—and yes, I am most certainly counting my time spent in the womb since I am 98% positive I can round up evidence documenting my mom swinging a sledge hammer while I was busy baking—I’ve collected more than my fair share of life lessons that DIY manuals conveniently fail to share, but we’ll just stick with the top 10 for today’s purposes. Here we go…

1. Pretty nails (the kind you grow on your fingers, not the kind you smash with a hammer) and construction sites do not go hand in hand. Manicures don’t happen for this girl.

2. Leaving a paint tray unattended on the floor may result in puppy paws tracking Sherwin Williams’ high hiding primer all over your kitchen.

3. When it comes to removal, not all wallpaper is created equal. Some will remove without a hitch and give you an inflated sense of hope. Others will make you want to rip your hair out, glue it back on and then proceed to rip it out again.

4. Kicking a hole in the wall when you just can’t handle another second of your three obnoxious kids is perfectly acceptable when you know how to patch sheetrock like a pro…right, Mom? Love you.

5. It’s impossible as a teenager to sleep until noon when your dad fires up the miter saw at 8:30 a.m. sharp.

6. All families have a matching set of bandanas, right?

image 
7. Current testers will tell you if an electrical outlet is hot…so will little brothers armed with curious minds and bobby pins.

8. “What’s changed since last time I was at your house?”: A common remark among my childhood friends…my adulthood friends are still saying the same thing.

9. Who knew that hauling other people’s trash home from the side of the road was hereditary? I guess we can thank Mom for the birth of the Rehabilitation Station.

10.  Nothing makes me happier than when the electrician/plumber realizes that I actually know what I’m talking about. Oddly enough, it’s also about the same time he drops his price…Thanks, Dad.


Happy weekend, ya’ll!

clip_image002

9 comments:

Kristen,  August 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

Happy birthday, Cara! For some reason, I thought you were older - probably because you have accomplished SO much in your life so far! You have a lot to be proud of!

Cara Beth August 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

Awwe, I love this post! I'm such a big family person - this one about brought tears to my eyes. It's obvious you have learned so much from your family! I know they are so proud of you! Happy Birthday!

Cara @ Live the Home Life August 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

Kristen, you are too nice to me! I am just turning 25, but the lady at the DMV recently told me I looked atleast 30. Just what I wanted to hear. :)

CB, thanks friend! My family means the world to me and I'm glad it shows. They are the best and so are you!

Cara

Anna,  August 27, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Kim,  August 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

Very cute post and I hope that you have a wonderful birthday!

Alycia Wicker August 27, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

Happy birthday and here's to another 75!

Bethany,  August 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM  

Happy birthday Cara! You are so young!

NJ,  August 28, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

25 years old!!!!! I wish :)

Hope you have a perfect birthday!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP