11 Furniture Flipping: Amy’s Dresser

>> Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Not long ago, Amy’s friend Kelly submitted Amy’s soon-to-be-with-us son Owen’s dresser to LTHL for a furniture flip—are you still with me? Long story short, I was thrilled for the chance to wrap my mind around baby Owen’s dresser. Not since little Dean’s miniature chair have I had the opportunity to whip up a nugget-sized creation.

Before we get down to all of the glorious rehabilitating, let’s revisit Kelly’s email…


 

Okay, crafty lady! My friend Amy has an old dresser she wants to redo for her nursery (she's due in October). She has bedding that has lots of different prints and colors and wants the dresser to be fun. She's been checking out LTHL and loves your ideas!


Furniture Flipping_Amy

Craving color? Coming right up! And it has to be said that I could barely contain my enthusiasm after catching a glimpse of little Owen’s bedding. Dance moves were involved…

Owen bedding
So cute, right? Let’s get down to business.



First up, a quick sketch to get my creative juices flowing and a feel for the details of the piece. Right away, I loved that the dresser had vertical stripes similar to the crib frame and zebra print bolster.

image

Next up, the color palate. With so many fun and vibrant colors to pull from the bedding, this part was a cinch.

Helpful hint: Take the colors used in the fabrics in your room and water them down a bit for furniture. A bit more subtlety will tie the furniture with the feel of the room without becoming a blinding eye sore.
 image

Now, what goes where…

image


A quick outline for the how-to…

1 & 2: Dresser Base


Paint the top of the dresser & every other stripe on the door front white and keep the base of the dresser a cool cucumber.

3: Cabinet Doors
Paint the remaining stripes (those that aren’t already dedicated as white) a light shade of blue and frame the outside with a slightly darker shade of the same hue.

4. Drawers & Pulls
Using the same lighter shade of blue, give the drawers a good coat or two and finish with eye-catching pulls, like these guys from etsy.



A big thanks to Kelly, Amy & baby Owen for allowing me to take a crack at this one. My whimsical furniture craving is more than filled thanks to your nursery needs. Happy painting!


clip_image002

11 comments:

Angie,  August 4, 2010 at 7:52 AM  

Blue and green together is my favorite for a nursery. The bedding is adorable as well.

Cara @ Live the Home Life August 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

You and me both, sister! I thought the bedding was so great and such an inspiration.

Cara

Kim,  August 4, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

I have a small dresser/night stand in my oldest daughters room that I have been dying to paint. if I send you a picture along with the colors already in her rooms could you help me with an idea? I am not very creative and have a hard time picturing what to do.

Kim

Cara @ Live the Home Life August 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

Absolutely, my dear!

Just email a picture or two my way, and I'll get crackin on a few ideas: Click here to email me!

Cara

shopgirl August 4, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

Hey Cara!

I need your advice. I'm refurbishing a couple night tables and a large dresser, but I'm having difficult sanding them down. I bought a chemical solution to release some of the varnish, but it doesn't work very well at all. So, my hands are ruined after all the manual sanding. Any tips for an amateur like myself?

Love your blog/website!

xo

Cara @ Live the Home Life August 4, 2010 at 5:15 PM  

Hi friend! Are you wanting to completely strip the original varnish and revarnish, or are you just wanting to prime & paint? If you are just wanting to paint, no need to get off all of the varnish. Just give it a good sanding to roughen up the surface then apply a good primer--I love and swear by Kilz. Hope this helps!

Cara

Kelly Pace,  August 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM  

Loooove it!! Cara, you never cease to amaze! You're like Wonderwoman...except instead of a cape, I imagine you with a giant can of spackle and primer.

Kelly

Cara @ Live the Home Life August 4, 2010 at 10:36 PM  

Kelly, I love it! I would totally rock that cape creation of yours :)

Cara

shopgirl August 6, 2010 at 4:10 AM  

Thanks for the advice Cara. I kinda screwed up on the night stand....I think I'll wait a bit to try again on the second one. But, I just checked out Sweet Mix Creations - awesome knobs! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Wishing you an awesome weekend to you and your hubby!

xo

millie @ passiondecor August 6, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

The bedding is great,and I can visualize in my head how lovely the dresser will be. can't wait to actually see the result :)

Cara @ Live the Home Life August 6, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

Thanks, Millie! I'm anxiously biting my nails over here as well. Thanks for stopping in and have a great weekend!

Cara

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP