8 Thrifty Finds: Dog Toys

>> Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Summer is in full force, my friends. Yesterday’s 95 degree weather confirmed it.  But with hot temps, come hot pups, and our little nuggets just can’t handle the backyard heat for too long. They were in need of a little indoor playtime.

IMG_5039


First thought: Run by PetsMart to pick up a few toys during lunch.

Second thought: I reconsidered after my wallet reminded me that the overpriced stuffed creatures would last an hour (max) before the stuffing was fully removed from their bodies and eyeballs were nibbled off and left as welcome home gifts for Mom.

Third thought: While walking the fine line between being a smart shopper and an abusive toy-depriving pet parent, a sign from heaven appeared on the right side of the road.  A Goodwill store! Hello, old friend.

10 toys/stuffed animals for $0.50 a piece? Yes please!

IMG_6189

IMG_6191

  
Take that PetsMart. The thrifty thinker wins again.

-Cara


P.S. Pals…The stuffed animals in the kids section were a super find, but for your little fur ball’s safety, stay away from beanie baby-esque toys with little pieces they can swallow. Stick to stuffing only. 

Also, our nuggets spit out the eyeballs once they’ve effectively plucked them from their sockets, but keep an eye on your pup to make sure they don’t work their way towards a puppy Heimlich.

8 comments:

Allison,  June 2, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

Duh! I don't know why I have not ever thought about going there. My lab chews up so many toys. I feel bad because I don't want to buy them because they are so pricy. He will be so happy when I bring him home some new "thrifty" toys!

Cara @ Live the Home Life June 2, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Allison, your little guy will not be disappointed. Ralph & June were over the moon about their new playmates.

-Cara

Ash,  June 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

50 cents!!!! At target where I always pick up my toys a stuffed toy is at least $4.00 a piece. Good idea!

laura @ so alaurable June 2, 2010 at 3:11 PM  

That's genius! And I though I had a steal recently when I found rope toys in the Target dollar bin.

Cindy @The Flipping Couple June 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM  

Nice work! We, unfortunately, don't do doggie toys around these parts. Our pupsters inhales toys. It's ridiculous. She chewed through a ROPE TOY in an hour. I couldn't believe it! So it's tennis balls and nylabones for her. Well, and golf balls. Which she also eats through (ever seen the inside of a golf ball??)

Cara @ Live the Home Life June 4, 2010 at 4:00 PM  

Oh Cindy! Those are some powerful puppy jaws!

I'll keep my eye out for thrift store tennis/golf balls for your little one :)

-Cara

Thrifty Dog July 14, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

Good idea! Another way to save money on dog toys (especially if you've got a dog who chews through them fast) is to make them. Ideas for homemade dog toys and lots more thrifty pet tips at http://www.thriftydog.net/

Cara @ Live the Home Life July 14, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

Thanks, Thrifty Dog! I'll have to check it out!

-Cara

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP