3 A Little LTHL Dialogue: Gettin’ Hot in Here

>> Friday, August 26, 2011

Some days I wake up to coffee and the Today show. Some (extra enthusiastic) days I wake up to a morning walk and a sit-up or two. Some days I wake up to a snooze button that was hit one too many times and a mad dash to cram a one hour long morning routine into 30 minutes…and some days I wake up to no air conditioning…some days like today.

Like any good DIY daughter, I do as my mother would. I said a few choice words, thought about kicking a hole in the drywall (but then remembered the effort behind patching said hole) and immediately Googled How to fix an air conditioner that is not cooling…and all signs pointed to calling a repair man. Rats.

Step 1: Call HVAC service fella.

Step 2: Say a prayer that my online banking is a pathological liar and I happen to have a few extra grand lying around to throw toward a fancy new high-efficiency unit.

Step 3:

Think about which skirt in my closet would give me the best pretty gal discount.



Step 4: Wait.

I was prepared for the worst. New unit, all new ductwork, outrageous service fee…I felt nauseous…until my faith in the good lord above was restored. You see, angels appear in many different forms y’all. Sometimes they appear as an oversized glass of red wine at the end of a long day. Sometimes as an accidental markdown on that pretty dress you really don’t need. And sometimes in the form of a husky repair fella named Roy. 

image 
All this dishing out free DIY advice over the years must have made the the heavens smile upon me today. For when I was without a do-it-yourself hope in sight, a simple wire in my AC was replaced and I was headed for cooler temps for a measly $80…A huge part of me was thrilled. The penny pinching part, that is. But the other part? That I-could-have-so-done-that-myself part was seriously aggravated. I knew my mom would understand…


Email convo with mom post heat wave remediation:

Me:

All fixed for $80! I had a wire that burned off and tripped the breaker. My buddy Roy replaced the wire and said everything else looked good. Whew! My bank account is happy.

Mom:

Wow!!!!!!!!! That’s what you like to hear…..so glad!

Me: …but I was slightly pissed that it wasn’t something I could fix myself…like the hot water heater thermocouple. (

Missed the thermocouple story?…click here.)


Mom:

PROMISE me you won’t go messing with wires……..unless I’m there to call 911.


Nice try, Lynda.


clip_image002

3 comments:

Kristin,  August 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM  

So glad your air is back on!! Although, I am a little disappointed that means you and June don't need to come over and stay and hangout!! :)

Cara @ Live the Home Life August 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM  

I know! Junie loves running around with that handsome Miller dog!

Cara

Melinda August 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM  

There are something even DYI girls do not need to mess with and electrical wires is at the top of the list!!! If you have ever seen someone knocked across the room off a ladder because wires got crossed you'll know what I mean.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP